Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Blueberry Lemon Bread



The first time I made this bread, I licked the beater (yes, I eat raw eggs in the form of sugary bliss) and I knew that I must share this recipe. It is simple and straight forward. We had a quite a stock of blueberries that we had picked earlier this summer and I needed a creative outlet to use them up. This recipe was mentioned by a friend and knowing that I had tried it before at another friend's house, I was excited to try it myself.  (Rest assured, these blueberries had now been frozen so don't feel pressured to run out and buy fresh berries. Frozen work fantastically!)

The batter, all whipped up, is heavenly in and of itself. And the bread is simply divine. It is sweet enough to be desirable, but not so sweet that you feel like you probably shouldn't have eaten it. The crust is a bit crisp, while the inside is light and soft. The touch of a lemon glaze on top puts the bread into the irresistible category. The combination of blueberries and lemon are the tangy delight that your taste buds have been hoping for all night.

So just go try it.

Also, I promise I make things besides blueberry bread type things. I just can't help that they are so good!

Blueberry Lemon Bread

Yield: 1 - 8 x 4 x 2.5 inch loaf pan

Bread
2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 C butter at room temperature
1 C sugar
1/2 C milk
1 1/2 C blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 large eggs

Lemon glaze
1/3 C sugar
1/4 C lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease your loaf pan.

In a mixing bowl beat butter and 1 C sugar until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating until light and creamy.

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together in separate bowl and add to the creamy mixture alternating with the milk.

Gently stir in blueberries.

Bake 1 hour 5 minutes, or until the bread no longer jiggles when you give it a little shake. You can also do the tooth pick test. The crust will brown.

Prepare lemon glaze. I suggest heating up the lemon juice in the microwave or over the stove so the sugar will dissolve.

Let cool in loaf pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on rack. Poke with holes on top and sides and coat with lemon glaze.

Cool completely (if you want it to retain loaf shape).

Recipe received from Emily S., though Katherine W. and Amy H were also mentioned upon receipt

No comments:

Post a Comment