Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Mountain Place, Holy Place

Now, I know God created the whole world, but He must have spent a little extra time when it came time to create mountainous areas. The air is crisp and clean. There is an aroma of pine and flowers and dirt that is just heavenly. The evenings are quiet and cool. Really, there isn't a more beautiful experience than mountain time.



I have been back to the mountains several times since moving away from Utah. But this time as we spent a week in beautiful Durango, CO, the contrast to my current location was vivid. Millions of wild flowers and tall aspens and pine trees filled my soul and reinvigorated me! 

I was reminded that the mountains are a holy place. Anciently Moses, Nephi, and even Jesus Christ went to the mountains to communicate with God. I went to the mountains summer after summer as a teenager attending church girls camps. I learned to listen, to pray, to study the scriptures, and to ponder without the distraction of the world. I bore my testimony and I was strengthened by the testimonies of others. I sang and played and laughed. The sum total of these experiences have impacted my life. The mountains became my holy place, a place that reminds me of the love my Heavenly Father and Savior have for me because I came to know them there.

Returning to the mountains this summer reminded me of those life experiences. I feel grateful for the opportunities I had then and that I can share with Alyssa and Erik now. I am grateful for the sunny, beautiful mornings that we spent observing God's creations. I am grateful Alyssa and I were able to go hiking together and talk about the flowers and sing primary songs. Heavenly Father has given us a beautiful world and by this I know that He truly loves me.

1 comment:

  1. It really was beautiful! We'd love to have you back near the Utah mountains any time!!!

    ReplyDelete