Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Faith in Christ

I had the opportunity to step out of nursery (church class for 18 months - 3 year olds that I normally teach each Sunday with Erik) and teach Relief Society this past Sunday. I love the opportunity to teach because in reality, I, as the teacher, become the student as everyone who sits in front of me makes excellent, inspiring, and faith-building comments. It is truly wonderful that we are able to talk and teach together each Sunday.

The topic I taught was faith and repentance from the teachings of Joseph Fielding Smith. Faith in Jesus Christ and repentance are the first two principles of the gospel - seemingly the most basic and fundamental doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Yet, they also carry a depth which is profound and even overwhelming.

One of the questions I asked was, "What does it mean to you to center your faith on Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father?" I had no predetermined answer. I wanted to know exactly what it means as well! I know faith is a belief, but it is also more. It is a trust or confidence in someone or something (BD), it hope in something not seen, but is true. Faith is also an action word. It leads us to do something because we believe something. So having put all these definitions of faith on the table, I opened it up to what it truly means.

The answers that came taught me and strengthened my faith. The sisters in my ward put into words what I feel and how I live. The answer that struck me the most was this:

"Faith in Jesus Christ and our Father in Heaven is a sure faith."

This sister then went on to explain that we know that they will never change and that the promises they have made are sure promises. We may have faith in other things or people (Santa Claus had been mentioned) but our faith in deity is sure. We believed and had faith in the plan the Father gave us before we came to earth and we can have faith in it now. We may do something that removes us from Jesus Christ and the promised blessings, but He will always be there, still willing to grant us those blessings if we will repent. We work towards eternal life by living the principles and doctrines of the gospel because we believe Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. That work combined with that belief constitutes our faith in them. And, thus, we live with faith in Christ.

Image Courtesy of lds.org/media

We need to not forget that Jesus Christ is central to our faith. He performed the Atonement and offers us grace that we might be saved. We need to add to that our own works that we may be receive eternal life with Him. All that we do is to show our faith and love for Him. He is our strength, our Savior, our Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment